Humble Pie with extra Phish on the Side



You know how when your in prison and Yudda wants you to be his special friend? You know how you feel the morning after the night before, after…. Yudda Time?



That’s exactly how I feel right now. I just got phished by a Mr, or Mrs CHUKWUDI, to a not-insubstantial amount.

Now we all know phising goes on, but what makes this so bad is that I fell for it. I cant believe it! The transaction was stopped early and the cash is safe… but my ego is in tatters.

Even In this Blog I have come close to mocking the scare mongery, associated with such deceptions:

http://www.salted.net/2006/02/email-correspondence-with-chris-dixon.html

http://www.salted.net/2006/02/non-user-review-siteadvisor.html

But now I am a victim.

So… I got the email from my bank, claiming that:

My Bank always look forward for the high security of our clients. Some customers have been receiving an email claiming to be from My Bank advising them to follow a link to what appear to be a My Bank s web site, where they are prompted to enter their personal Online Banking details. My Bank is in no way involved with this email and the web site does not belong to us…. Bla blab la…

Genius! I clicked the link and did as they said. OK, I was stupid, I was jet lagged, I didn’t think it could happen to me.

Dealing with Bank

I didn’t think about the mail as related to the Phising… it just didn’t occur.

I was thinking what to tell the bank. I felt confident that I had all the answers. "MY Details are protected by AES 256 Encryption using Open Source software that my company designed… there is no way… never stored on disk… blab la bla"…."

"..., have you had any emails concerning our bank account recently?"

"Doh!"

Id like to end this post with a quote from a very dumb man:

"… phishing and fraud and identity theft … all of these threats are threats overcome not by comparing checksums but by not being stupid. If you really do think your long lost uncle Borris wants your paypal details so he can pay for some "lovely vases, very pricey" then I am not sure you should be online."

Quoted from the Salted Solution, Feb 04, reproduced with permission.